Thursday, March 25, 2010

O'Keeffe Country


The area around Ghost Ranch which provided inspiration for Georgia O'Keeffe's paintings are awesome to see. The geological formations are readily recognizable as material for some of her artistic pieces. I knew that tours of her home were not scheduled while we were there, but we couldn't resist stopping at the dusty little area of Abiquiu where her home is located. I got a photo of the entrance and thought about all the wonderful painting she did over her lifetime, especially while she visited and then lived in New Mexico.  What an American treasure she is! 




7 comments:

  1. A painting was my first thought seeing this, but I'm not sure why...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The erosion signs are a work of art! And what a lovely entrance it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also really like O'Keefe's work. It's too bad you didn't get to tour the home. But I'm sure seeing the places that were sources of her inspiration was also wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree! Your beautiful photo reminded me of one of the things I miss about the great American west!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The colors in your shot are wonderful, like we are right there.

    Thanks for your comment, Kate. I have your other two blogs on a follow column but had neglected to enter this one until now! I've got some catching up to do! Thank you,
    -Kim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I wish I knew that you were going to Abiquiu. I would have given you directions to our property. The road is on the backside of Abiquiu lake and has an amazing view of the Perdenal.

    ReplyDelete

Happy that you have visited my blog. Come back often; I appreciate your comments! Thank you.