Saturday, March 13, 2010

Wildlife Center-Camera Critters

Because we are animal lovers, Jim and I went to the Wildlife Center, and what a thrill. We were thrilled to see the animals, but we were impressed by the dedication of the staff and volunteers.  A great facility!

FACTS ABOUT THE WILDLIFE CENTER: The Wildlife Center in north Santa Fe county just south of EspaƱola, is New Mexico's only wildlife hospital.

The Wildlife Center was established in 1986 as a raptor rehabilitation center under the name "Las Aves." In 1991, The Center changed its name to The Wildlife Center to reflect an operation that was expanded to include rehabilitation of all indigenous New Mexico wildlife.

The Center’s success rate for return to the wild is around 55 percent.

The Center is the only rehabilitation center in New Mexico permitted by the federal government and state of New Mexico to rehabilitate large mammals, such as the New Mexico black bear, endangered species and the eagle, our national bird.

Thirty educational animals reside at the Center and are the center piece of over 120 educational programs and over 400 public tours each year at the Center and throughout northern New Mexico. These programs and tours reach about 8000 adults and children each year.

Nine staff and 55 volunteers, who give over 10,000 hours of their time annually, enable the organization to provide leadership for programs and in the rehabilitation of wildlife.

Primary funding comes to The Center from individual donors and private foundations. The Center receives no regular funding from the state or federal government. (From the Wildlife Center website).


To see a video of the Wildlife Center, click here.
To see more Camera Critters, click here.

18 comments:

  1. Oh how fabulous,Kate. What a shot and what a privilege. That's one beautiful creature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep waiting on one of these beautiful animals to land on my board fence. Tom, from Ohio Nature Trails, said I would need to pack my backyard with fish. And if I did that then I would also have a yard filled with raccoons.

    Such a beautiful bird. Compared to Ben Franklin's choice for out national symbol, this one is the winner for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, hello Mr. Bald Eagle! Is that Jim next to the eagle?

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, it's not Jim but one of the staff members who was unbelievably cordial! They take such good care of their animals there...pure dedication!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome shot Kate! That should be framed. I can't stop looking at it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That photo is just stunning! What a magnificent creature and what a privilege to get to s close.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kate I love this place! This is where I brought the injured merlin I blogged about in January. She didn't make it. Left me very sad. But I knew she was in loving hands and I knew they did everything they could. I want to go back for a more extensive visit at some point. Beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Superb avian portrait, Kate! Doesn't get any better than this. Eagles are such magnificent birds.

    We have a wildlife rehab center here at Silver Springs Park which does wonderful work, also.

    Thank goodness there are people willing to give of themselves in these projects.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Incroyable! Is the bald eagle the symbol of your country? I would have loved to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Just a Beautiful Shot. : )
    Darryl and Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a fabulous photo! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous shots of this majestic bird!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an awesome closeup of the Eagle.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent shot, wonderful and majestic bird.

    ReplyDelete

Happy that you have visited my blog. Come back often; I appreciate your comments! Thank you.