Thursday, February 23, 2012

St. Francisco de Asis -Front view--


Anyone who is interested in New Mexico and Georgia O'Keeffe is familiar with the church below (small photo), which has been painted and photographed an unbelievably number of times. This iconic image which faces the street, however. is really the back of the church.  Few have seen the front of the church (the large photo), which is located at the back of the property,  so I have taken it upon myself to show both.  The other photo is a close-up of the adobe wall...real adobe, not  concrete.  If you'd like to know more about the history of the church, click here.


11 comments:

  1. belle couleur, tres sobre, j'aime bien cette architecture d'eglise

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the building and the top composition is just great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful it inspires artists and photographers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful old Church that has been a witness to many events and travelers in New Mexico history. Your photos represents it well!

    Just think of all the baptisms, weddings and funerals that have taken place in this Church over it's long span!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, this is familiar and beautiful. I'm glad you included the picture of the adobe. The straw shows up nicely in the picture and makes it easy to see the difference between real and concrete.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A wonderful church with interesting construction and design! Reminds me of the "mud and bamboo" house I stayed in while in Dharamsala, India in January!

    I saw your neighbors at Gloria Dei last night at Ash Wednesday worship, Great Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, where do people go in the front of the church if the top shot is the back? Have I got it backward?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, the blocky front is very famiiar.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photographs Kate! Looks like your mastering that camera of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for your response, Kate. I get it now. I didn't realize that "back" meant the back side of the property, not the building. . .Duh!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautifully composed top image Kate, incorporating all four of the crosses, Nice work indeed!

    ReplyDelete

Happy that you have visited my blog. Come back often; I appreciate your comments! Thank you.